At work everyone gets a television in their cubicles or office spaces and they get to watch it whenever they want. I think it's because they want all their employees to be on top of the latest news. I also get a small television in my intern cubicle so naturally I was also one of many people in L.A. who watched the Michael Jackson memorial service/concert. I didn't really pay much attention to the whole Michael Jackson tragedy (even though almost all the reporters at CBS are always at either Neverland or his Encino home and it really is a huge freaking deal at least in L.A.) but watching his star-studded memorial service made me feel really bad for MJ and his family. I admit I teared up a little bit when his daughter came up to the microphone and started crying as she tried to speak.
Speaking of his daughter, I've had people around me say on multiple occasions, "But they don't look black!!" I don't understand why everyone has been so hung up on the fact that Michael Jackson's children don't look "black" and therefore are probably not his biological children. The girl is clearly very upset at the passing of someone she calls her own father and MJ's mom has undisputed custody of the children via Jackson's will. I think the public should call it quits at that and leave the kids alone already.
Who knew I would have stuff to say about Michael Jackson... On another note, I'm really liking it so far in L.A. I'm may be overgeneralizing, but for me, I'm realizing more and more what a great place California is for Asian Americans. Sure, you have the whole bubble problem with California Asians but Pennsylvania, or even the east coast really does not have a fraction of all the resources and opportunities that L.A. alone can provide to Asian Americans like myself who wish for more than just Korean food markets or Noraebang (if you know me you probably already know that I do not like NRB).
The other day Jinny was showing me videos of Far East Movement, who are beginning to make it big in L.A. with their song "Girls on the Dance Floor" being played all the time on mainstream radio stations like KISS. They make me feel proud! I noticed that the Asian American entertainment network in California is small but linked together pretty extensively. From what I've seen and heard, everyone wants to make connections with everyone but as fellow Asian Americans, they are also willing to help each other out. I was able to talk to PK, the founder of Kollaboration two weeks ago when he came as a speaker at a retreat I had to attend as a KAC intern. When I said I was interested in a career in media and entertainment, he told me I should really join the Kollaboration staff especially for all the networking it would be able to provide me with. It's nice to know that something like that exists in L.A. where the overly ambitious entertainment industry is known to be rather ruthless and unforgiving.
If I could, I want to try living here at least for a few years after graduation. This naive sense of awe makes me curious and excited to see where it'll take me.
I'm going to try to put up a video on the side, "Round and Round" by Far East Movement. Personally I think they could have used cuter girls but overall a pretty cool (and cute) music video.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment