

I really really liked this movie when I saw it for the first time with Lucy and Anisha in Los Angeles, and I still love it. They are showing it at the BM Film Institute for cheaper prices so I went with Jess today and watched it again. I'm sure there are things about this movie that people could probably dislike, like maybe the try-too-hard two indie music people thing or the character of Summer herself. I could see some people finding her irritating. And I hated the scene where Tom says something about a Chinese family being in their bathroom and the camera cuts (pans?) to a wordless group of unsmiling Asians staring at the couple. I still get angered and confused as to why writers must feel almost obligated to use an Asian joke all the fucking time. Nowadays when I see a movie or a movie trailer that shows a degrading Asian joke, it gets minus points because it implies that the writer is incapable of making anything else funny and therefore resorts to a good ol' Asian joke. Well it is getting old and not funny, cut it out. Next joke.
But enough with my anger. I love Summer's blue-themed outfits. I love the scene of the morning after where Tom gets his own dance ensemble going on in the park. I loved the real characters and how they were acted out so convincingly. Maybe it's because to a certain extent, I thought I could identify with some of the themes addressed in the film. From the cinematography to the soundtrack to the story, a lot things about this movie just seem to come together so nicely for me. Am I easily swayed? Maybe. This is a story about love, not a love story. Ah.

No comments:
Post a Comment